Tuesday, February 23, 2010

The Countdown is on

Steve left last Friday Feb. 19th. It was a hard day as I kept watching the clock knowing our time was ticking down till I had to take him to the airport and say goodbye--in fact it makes my stomach turn just thinking about it now. But we made it through the goodbye. I haven't cried that hard in awhile and I'm sure it is the first of many tearful days. It is a hard thing being separated from your best friend. I am so fortunate to be able to have family and friends here to take care of me, but I sure miss my Steve. Luckily, the day he left we were able to spend a lot of good quality time together. We went to Balboa Island and took Roscoe to a dog park and had fun watching him play around with all the other dogs. So it was a good day till airport time came. :(
Steve made it to Augusta, Georgia where he will go through training for a week and then this Friday he flies to Kuwait for another week of training. After that he will fly to Baghdad and arrive at Camp Victory where he will complete the rest of his deployment. He will be the only dentist in the clinic there so I'm sure he will have his work cut out for him. But they are lucky to have him--he's the best dentist in my opinion!!!
Luckily, the area he is going to is pretty safe, but please keep him in your prayers! Even though this is a tough time we are trying to focus on the positive aspects of it. I feel like we can use this experience to grow even closer and I know we will definitely appreciate all the time we have together even more than we did before!
My goal is to try and keep this blog updated with Steve reports so you all can hear how he is doing but I have to warn you it may be used for a few venting/emotional breakdowns throughout the process as well....just puttin it out there. Thanks to everyone for all the support. I have the best friends and family a girl could ever ask for!






3 comments:

Shelley said...

We are praying for you both!

Stopher and Nicolle said...

oh, it might be much easier than you think... the hardest part is the good-bye and the first couple days, and then right before he's supposed to come home again. I don't think i stopped crying for the first 24 hours. i had broken blood vessels all over my face. then right before he came home i had a mental breakdown thinking i couldn't do it anymore and that i was stupid thinking i could. agh...i cried again for another 24 hours....BUT i had the advantage of doing this crying thing every 8 weeks as we were visiting a lot... so in the end i almost wished we wouldn't have. especially since a good deal of the time i was the one heading back out on the airplane. other passengers must have thought i was a freak. so while it is sooooo hard... know there are lots of other military wives who have had to deal with longer periods...and that at least you won't have to do this 20 times!

Andrea said...

I know exactly how you are feeling. When Brad was deployed, I remember driving away after dropping him off and calling my mom and just breaking down. It was surreal. But you will get through it. And as you've already pointed out, there will be some problems and frustrations but your relationship will continue to grow. I'm grateful that you are with your family while Steve is gone. I will keep both of you in my prayers. Trust me, you'll feel the prayers of others during this time.